Week 9/10 Reflection

I participated in class discussion May 26th.

However, I still wanted to do this exercise because I think it’s a great one. In fact, last night I even asked my fiance these four questions because I wanted us to reflect on how we got to this point in our lives. I wanted us to reflect if we are excited or worried about the trajectory of our life/marriage that is rapidly coming. It was a great premarriage exercise for us too, and it was nice to see we are on the same page of enthusiasm of where we are heading.

1. What am I good at?

I consider my greatest strength is to be thoughtful and kind. I try my best to be a good person to those around me and lift others up. I also think I am intelligent. It feels weird to admit it, because I don’t want to be cocky, but it’s probably one of the most common ways I hear people describe me. I also think I am humble. Seems like an oxymoron to admit it, but without my humility, I could see myself becoming self-absorbed. Lastly, I am curious. My curiosity drives me to be creative and always keep growing.

2. What do I value?

The top thing I value in my life is my faith. As a Christian, a lot of my behaviors and ways of understanding the world are shaped by my faith. It’s also why I strive for humility and kindness. After that, I value my time. While I’m not always good at saying no, I recognize my time is my greatest resource. I also value freedom. I think others deserve the freedom to make their choices (so long as it doesn’t excessively harm/infringe others) and I value my freedom to make my choices.

3. How did I get here?

I am in Oregon because this is where I was raised. I am a Christian because it was how I coped with trauma as a child. In the coping I found meaning. I went to OSU because I wanted to use my mother’s staff discount- but not go to PSU where she works and live with her. I also had a really good tour. I chose management because I love helping people and it’s the more interpersonal major in the COB. I am about to get married because I fell in love in high school and I always said if we can make it long-distance through college, we can make it through anything. My career is still baking, but they are literally making a job for me because of a loose network connection that landed me the internship and they were impressed with my work ethic.

4. Where am I going?

I am about to enter the next chapter of my life. I feel like the phase of discovering of who I am from childhood to young adulthood is closing, and I am beginning the application of all that I have learned. I am getting married, starting life on my own without the bubble of college, starting my career, and ending my years of full-time education. I am moving back to my hometown Clatskanie and living in our first apartment after marriage. I am choosing a life that won’t be societally recognized as prestige (no corporate ladders or executive suite titles) since I am returning to a small town. Nevertheless, I am choosing to go back home because I want to help the community flourish, where before most everyone my age who goes to college says “good riddance” and only return years later to retire. I want to make a difference there, and I am excited to do so despite the lack of prestige. Overall, it’s a lot of change, but I am excited for this opportunity to realign my priorities and start fresh.