Blog Post #1: Introduction

It’s been an adventure here at the OSU post-bacc computer science program! I’m excited to share my perspectives and reflections this quarter as I trek through my capstone project, the final stop on my journey. But, before I embark on future blog expeditions, it’s probably important to introduce myself a bit.

My name is Scott and I live in Southern California with my wife and our two pups. We love to hike and camp, and we love to travel the world. I think we both agree there’s so much to see with what feels like little time, but c’est la vie, right? Pretty much any sport will grab my attention, but basketball is my go-to favorite! However, I get the sense my wife doesn’t share my sentiments. Although we don’t share the same affinity for many of our hobbies and interests, we can both agree on a nice day of skiing! 

Ok, so what about my interest in computer science? Well, there was never an ‘ah ha’ moment that set forth this path. I’ve always had an interest in computers and software, more so for exploring powerful tools to be more efficient and practical both professionally and personally. I thought about technology as a means to a better end. With every year, I’m more fascinated with the things we accomplish. We can easily order a ride from a complete stranger to get to the airport, or we can send countless dollars in our electronic systems with the push of a button. I can even share my thoughts here on this blog. 

My curiosity and desire to get more involved in the tech space brought me here. The many frustrating nights of getting code to work just right led to many rewarding victories. The various experiences while on my voyage have helped build a better skillset and I look forward to this continuation through the capstone.

You may also be wondering (probably not), what’s my favorite technology or language? Well, I’ve most enjoyed Python. If you don’t know already, the name stems from Monty Python. I’m like Indiana Jones in the sense I don’t do real snakes and would be found nowhere near! So full disclosure, I like Monty Python and maybe there’s some underlying bias I don’t yet know!

Alright, now that I’ve shared a little bit about myself I’ll wrap it up. I make it seem like we’re going on an adventure somewhere with all my talk of journeys, expeditions, voyages, etc. Sadly there will be no cruise to the islands or helicopters rides to the Alps (I wish!), but stay tuned as I’ll be back for more updates on my capstone here on my blog!