Sesha Week 3 – Blog Post: Job Descriptions

Last job I applied has same job description as “Software Development Manager (Test) – IT Services” in General Motors. Job Posting: https://globalcareers-gmfinancial.icims.com/jobs/search?ss=1&searchKeyword=2023-44049

This posting has the job title I was looking for, gave an overview of what I will be doing in that role. Job duties are clear in the responsibilities section. The Qualifications section mentioned what hiring manager is expecting from applicant in knowledge, skills experience, and education.  I am highly influenced by the working conditions section mentioning to expect stressful situation, long hours of work and possible travel. An attractive salary range on par with industry is mentioned. This job posting met all eight sections required for a complete job description. Hiring Manager and Talent Acquisition partner spent lot of time to make this job posting very clear and attract the right IT professionals like me. Job description influenced me a lot because it has a clear description of what to expect in this role, has my favorite technologies. I am particularly excited by its stressful wok situation, possibility of working long hours and weekends and travel promising the challenges this job can throw at me to prove my expertise.  I know that this job is definitely not going to be a boring or dull job. I meet nearly 80% of the job requirements. I do not have requirements like mobile platform development and domain knowledge of GM Financial core business functions and policies. I am not worried about not having the knowledge of GM Financial core business functions, which I can do research and get some idea. On the other hand, Job is 90% similar to my present job that I meet 90% of job duties and Knowledge section, 100% of skills sets, education and experience. I know that I can easily get this job.

2 responses to “Sesha Week 3 – Blog Post: Job Descriptions”

1. Jerrod Richmond Avatar
    Jerrod Richmond

Hi Sesha,
    The description for that role is very well written. I always appreciate it when a posting provides that level of transparency into the role as well as the expectation from the candidate. Too often I find some job descriptions are vague or tip toe around the reality of the position as an effort to hide undesirable responsibilities of the role. I don’t find that to be the case here. It is clear about the challenges in the roles and importance of “remaining cool under pressure”. Thanks for sharing.

2. Nathan Madrigal Avatar
    Nathan Madrigal

Hello,

It’s interesting that the stressful situation seemed to excite you rather than counting as a demerit. Though it totally makes sense as you want to prove your skills as well as refine them. The possibility of travel would be very exciting as well, definitely making young people excited for the job. It could turn some people off though, due to their stage in lives like a long term relationship. That seemed like a very clear job description, it seems like you would be able to know what to expect rather well.