Job descriptions

The last job I had was as a Human Resources Team Leader for a retail company. I had a unique experience in my role due to the nature of the store where I was a leader. When I applied to the position originally, the requisition was actually tied to a different store in the area due to the store’s recruitment strategy for this role. I originally thought that I was applying to an HR role at a larger store where there would be a Human Resources Executive Team Leader who I would report to. After I had my initial screening phone call from my recruiter, I learned that the role was actually for a small format location in the market. In small formats, there are typically not ETL’s unless for specific business needs. This meant that I would report directly to the store director and I would be leading the entire HR team. The role expectations in the job description were closely aligned to what the actual job required of me. The part of the role that I did not expect would be one of the most important elements to my success would be my involvement in assessing, strategizing, developing, training & implementing a safety culture. The store that I took on was categorized as an ultra-high risk store due to it being located in a downtown urban area. A team leader in a large store has different expectations and less responsibility than a team leader in a small format however, at this point there is only one HRTL job description that is used for recruitment processes. Because of this, the level of business ownership expectations might be slightly inaccurate.

Here is the job description:

As a Human Resources Team Leader, no two days are ever the same, but a typical day will most likely include the following responsibilities:

• Demonstrate a service culture that prioritizes the guest service experience. Model, train and coach expectations to deliver the service standard.
  • Understand sales goals, plan and execute daily/weekly workload to deliver on area goals, store sales goals and guest engagement
  • Demonstrate a commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion through continuous development, modeling inclusive behaviors, and proactively managing bias
  • Support the leadership team in ensuring equitable experiences, strengthening inclusion acumen, and promoting a culture of inclusivity and belonging that embraces the contributions of all team members.
  • Champion a culture where teams love to work, and guests love to shop; recognize guest-centered behaviors and reward outstanding performance
  • Collaborate with leaders to build teams that are committed to continuous learning through ongoing observations and reinforcement of guest-centric and sales behaviors
  • Provide an onboarding experience for new team members (including third party vendors) to enable them to serve our guests
  • Support the leadership team’s capabilities in developing their teams based on career aspirations, individual skills and experiences and provide growth opportunities to retain talent
  • Support the development of leaders and help your peers be champions of a guest-centric culture
  • Support leadership with creating schedules that fit both the guest and team members needs by teaching leaders the importance of understanding their team members scheduling desires.
  • Lead an open-door culture where team members feel heard and issues are quickly resolved
  • In partnership with the Store Director, create the store staffing strategy and plan intentional recruiting efforts to help store leaders find, hire and onboard talent with the right skills and experiences for their team
  • Develop a team of HR Experts who serve the total store team by solving problems, removing roadblocks and engaging each team member in a way that connects them to Target’s purpose
  • Effectively plan and manage team operational and cyclical programs to maximize team member engagement and minimize business disruption (e.g. staffing routines, scheduling systems and pay practices)
  • Engage and educate store team on Target’s community initiatives
  • Build relationships that are important to the store’s community to address the most pressing local needs
  • Leverage gift card and volunteer accounts to enhance brand awareness and engage team in volunteerism
  • Establish clear goals and expectations and hold team members accountable to expectations
  • Provide service and a shopping experience that meets the needs of the guest
  • Demonstrate a culture of ethical conduct, safety and compliance; lead and hold the team accountable to work in the same way
  • Address store needs (emergency, regulatory visits, etc.)
  • All other duties based on business needs