CS 467: Blog Post #1

My name is Ryan Kinnard, this is my last semester at OSU as I will be graduating this December. After graduation, I will be working as a software developer starting in January.

I am always interested in other people’s career paths so I figure I should share mine. I originally graduated from UMass Amherst with a degree in kinesiology with the hopes of becoming a physical therapist. After working in a physical therapy office, I realized this was not a career that I wanted to pursue. While I enjoyed the science behind physical therapy, certain aspects of the career turned me off. Some of these included the amount of patients that have to seen, dealing with insurance companies and low pay to student debt ratio.

This lead me to pursue a CS degree from OSU. I have always been interested in computers and technology but never fully dove into any topics in depth. I came into the program with very limited programming experience. I was actually surprised how much more work some of these classes involved compared to classes during my first undergraduate degree. Most of my previous classes involved regurgitating information learned in class on a test. Whereas, CS courses really challenge your problem solving skills.

Some of my hobbies including listening to music and going to concerts. My two favorite genres are pop punk and rap. Other hobbies that I like are watching and playing hockey as well as snowboarding.

I am excited to get this class started.

Thank you for reading.