Week 5

This week’s blog post will focus on interviews and their effectiveness. Personally, the interviews I have partaken in that have been the best are ones that feel less like an interrogation and more like a conversation. Sometimes, an interview can feel like the interviewee is just pelting you with a list of questions, which does not make you feel like the interviewer is actually interested in getting to know more about you but rather just checking off a list of questions.

The most effective interviews I have had and the ones that lead to the most comfortable workplace are ones where the questions build off of your previous answers and where they actually seem interested and engaged. This comes as part of building a rapport and listening actively (lecture week 5). While developing questions and benchmark answers (lecture week 5) is important so employers can find the right person for the job, there is no need to solely follow the list and not ask follow-up questions.

I had one interview where there was the person who would be my direct boss as well as someone who held the position previously. The previous intern had not reviewed my resume and did not know anything about me which lead to him asking multiple questions where answers could have been found in my resume or other documents. Additionally, the person who would be my boss did not seem to direct him at all and let him have free reign. In this situation, I would’ve recommended that both interviewers should have prepared more and actually looked over my information. Additionally, the main boss should have taken more control over the interview and not let it be so repetitive. While I did end up getting the position and accepting it, it was as chaotic as the interview and it should have been my first warning sign.

Swift, Michele. “Week 5 – Learning Materials.”