Background and History
Construction on the original log crib structure of Gold Ray Dam was started in 1903. The dam began generating power in the winter of 1904. The 38-foot high, 360-foot long concrete structure (located just downstream of the original dam), was completed in 1941. Power generation continued until 1972, when dam ownership was transferred to Jackson County. The decision to remove the dam was made due to the liability risks for the county, as well as the partial barrier it posed to salmon and steelhead migration (Elliot and Dittmer, 2009).
Monitoring of the Gold Ray Dam Removal by OSU was focused on evaluating how channel characteristics (exposed bedrock, pools, vegetation) and engineering influence the rates and locations of erosion and deposition the reservoir and downstream.
Viewing the data library requires installation of Google Earth™.
More details on specific monitoring plans are outlined in the Gold Ray Dam Removal Monitoring Proposal – May 2010.
Resources and Pertinent Links
Our Research Partners