Blog Post #1

• Favorite technologies
    • Web based applications
  • Your project
    • Still working through with the team
  • Your future career
    • Currently a SWE for a utility company
  • Your job hunt or interviews
    • Unsure of future moves, currently gaining experience in a SWE. Looking to stay within the company.
  • A soft skill you are working on
    • Corporate business interactions
  • How do you like to learn new things?
    • I like to be able to explore using test/stage environments
  • How do you handle stress or “getting stuck”?
    • I have become very reliant on senior members of my team. They have great experience and knowledge to offer.
  • Research and teach us something new about our field!
    • I am learning a lot about how real-time systems utilize software to make the energy infrastructure reliable and secure.

As I begin my last quarter at OSU I am also ending my first year working as a software engineer. I started working as a SWE last November being hired on as an entry level position to help out on an application team. It has been a great year of learning and experience building. The work is not development centric, but is more of an operations support role.

A lot of the work involves Linux systems, database changes, and scripting utilities using multiple languages (ksh, bash, python). I would say that this is not exactly the type of role that I initially envisioned for myself, but I also have tried to remain open minded entering the job market. Getting a tech job before graduation was enough to be thankful for. I feel very much like I am in a great position to make further career moves as time goes on.