# 2 – Productivity

The Evil Duo (Distractions and Procrastination)

I think one of the major things I struggle to deal with is staying focused and remaining productive. With so much media at our fingertips (YouTube, Netflix, Messenger apps, etc.), it feels increasingly difficult to stay attentive to school or work. Here are three methods that I’ve found to help me fight procrastination.

1. Get the Hard Stuff Done First

While I’m certainly not a morning person, I think that mentally draining or technically challenging tasks are easier to do shortly after breakfast. I think that this is the best time period to work, where I am not overly fatigued or too hungry. Towards the end of the day, I can use what little gas I have left to go on autopilot and finish some of the more trivial tasks I have remaining.

2. Stay Organized

I think one of the main causes of procrastination is being disorganized. When you have to spend a lot of time thinking about which task you have to do, it becomes another hurdle to actually start working. Often I find that the most difficult part of doing anything is just getting started and building momentum. The more I trim down on “set-up”, the less of a hurdle there is to starting my tasks. I can do this by scheduling timeboxes for when I want to work on specific things, and by making sure that my desk is clean and tidy the night before I work. If you are on the search for effective productivity apps, I highly recommend Notion; it is an extremely functional software that I use to take notes or manage tasks across multiple devices.

Example of a Task List page template from Notion

3. Pomodoro Technique

For the past few months, I have used a time management method called the Pomodoro Technique, which has greatly boosted my productivity. In essence, the method involves breaking work into 25 minute intervals, separated by 5 minute breaks. While it is fine to adjust how many minutes you want in work/break intervals, I think it is important to keep the interval times consistent by using a timer or app. I have found this method to keep me from working for too long at once, which prevents me from burning out during the day. I make sure to use the break time to stay hydrated and stretch. Short breaks will lead to a healthier mind and body, as well as greater productivity in the long run!