Job Descriptions

The last job I had was a pizza delivery driver, so the job description itself was not very influential to me. I had experience delivering beforehand, so I wanted to find a part-time job that I could use my delivery experience in. After reading the job description online, I recall thinking that this sounds like a job I could manage while in school, so I applied as soon as I could.

I do not remember the finer details of the job description, but I remember it outlined multiple chores and tasks for delivery drivers that did not include delivering pizzas. Some specific ones were the emphasis on answering phones, cleaning the oven, washing dishes, and helping unload trucks. My experience I had on the job fit the job description very well. I cannot remember there being anything in the description that I thought was unfair, and I recall doing a lot of the work that was outlined in the description. One way the job was different than the description was the number of boxes that I had to fold in the facility. I do not remember there being any mention of this in the description, but any second that I wasn’t busy doing something else I would be instructed to fold boxes. One way the job reflected the job description was the emphasis on answering phone calls. We had a strict script that all workers had to recite when answering the phones, and we were told to not let the phones ring any longer than 2 rings. As I said before, the job description really did not influence me to apply, I was just looking for part-time work that I had prior experience in.

4 replies on “Job Descriptions”

Thanks for sharing your view on the difference between the job experience and description. I am glad that you can apply your previous working experience into a similar job. From your blog, it shows that the job description is overall similar to your expectation of the job.

It makes sense that the job description did not have too much of an affect on your decision to accept the job. The title of the job was pretty self explanatory. It’s good that the job description included other tasks that were a part of the job. They deffinetly could have been more detailed with the description by including that you would be required to fold boxes. Great post!

That is really nice that the description matched the position really well! I understand why the description wouldn’t matter as much to you, especially since you held a similar position before. I’m glad that your responsibilities matched the description mostly so that there weren’t any surprises, especially since you were expected to do more than just deliver. Thanks for sharing!

Hey Benjamin,

I like that you pointed out that the job description outlined some of the less obvious tasks. Some parts of the job you can probably expect, but it’s not fun to be caught off guard by something you don’t expect. It sounds like having prior experience in a similar position also helped you anticipate what would be required of you. Thanks for sharing, great post!