Writing Exercise #8

Prompt:

This writing exercise is designed to help you begin to think about a topic you are interested in pursuing for your final essay project in the course. 

The most interesting study I learned about this term was the effects on your gut microbiome post surgery and how medical methods and medicines further affect your microbiome. Individuals with gut complications such as colon cancer go through extensive surgery; I used to think that the surgery itself was where all the possible complications could happen but the real dangerous side is post surgery. I would love to explore all the possible methods there is to stop post surgery complications in people’s gut microbiome. 

The effects on your gut microbiome post surgery and how medical methods and medicines further affect your microbiome can lead to serious health complications. Since your body has just been under a lot of physical stress due to surgery your gut microbiome is very vulnerable for the effects of bad bacteria. Also medical procedures before and after surgery have been shown to weaken your microbiome rather than making it stronger. 

I think I’m really passionate about this subject and I can see myself writing about all the possible medical methods that cause a degradation in microbial gut health. Throughout this essay I’ll be explaining how these methods effects your microbial gut and how we can fix these methods and make them stronger.