Exercise #1

Throughout these past two years the Covid-19 pandemic has underlined the importance of research and the ability to understand infectious diseases caused by microorganisms. Moreover, I was surprised at how fast scientists were able to complete groundbreaking research to the extent of mass producing vaccines in effort to put a halt on such an infectious disease. Surprisingly when I think about non-infectious diseases I think about a slow and more complicated disease, something scientists just can’t find the solution to. Diseases like Alzheimer’s, Cancer, Diabetes, and Asthma are just a few of many non-infectious diseases that I can think of off the top of my head.
Most of these diseases are usually passed down by the genetic line although I was also intrigued in reading some papers hypothesizing microorganisms causing non-infectious diseases. I read a journal on researchers finding a new line of evidence supporting a hypothesis that Alzheimer’s might be a result of an infection by oral bacteria P. gingivalis. Their results link toxins called gingipains that accumulate in the brain of Alzheimer’s patients, which degrades proteins and causes misfolded proteins. Even though there was an extraordinary amount of effort put into this research the hypothesis is not yet proven. I learned today that although non-infectious diseases are complicated and complex, any type of well thought out research will spark ideas, good criticism, and questions geared towards the advancement of understanding diseases and their cures.
-Ramon Rivera

Source: https://www.science.org/doi/10.1126/sciadv.aau3333