Chatting with a Librarian

I began my research this week searching for articles just about Hedy Lamarr through databases like EBSCOhost and many more. They turned up next to nothing for me. I found snippets here and there but no full text articles and no books that I can access. This was initially very frustrating. And still is. I searched for a few hours and still have had no luck with a complete document or article.

My next step was to ask librarians. I have done some reading about Hedy Lamarr on websites that are not peer-reviewed and that I did not find using a database. From doing this, I do feel like I have a pretty basic knowledge of her and what she did and what her life was like. So I formed my questions based on what I didn’t already know about her. The most useful information that I have received from a librarian so far is an NPR article that recaps Lamarr’s life and it is from a credible source, unlike Wikipedia. I learned a lot from this and hope to look a little deeper into some of the information. I have not yet received emails back from two other librarians, and I am unable to chat in person with the Valley Library librarians because I no longer live near OSU.

My next step is going to be looking into feminism during the 1940’s and also researching gender discrimination during that time. Hedy Lamarr was not credited for her invention until recently and has since been inducted into the inventors hall of fame. It will be interesting to learn why her invention was less important at the time than it is now.