Hello world!

My name is Cristina but I go by Tina. From as far back as I can remember, computers have always been apart of my daily life.

My father bought a computer from a TV ad in the 90s and set it up as a family computer. As an only child, I took a great interest in keeping myself occupied on the computer. I played loads of Flash games on Cartoon Network’s site, created masterpieces on Kidpix, and loaded up my mom’s Mavis Beacon typing software.

My love for the computer, internet, and its capabilities only increased as I got older. Like many people, I was obsessed with creating MySpace layouts (lol), chatting with friends on AIM, gaming, and discovering new music on forums. At that point in my life, being on the computer was my biggest hobby and I was quite good at figuring out just about anything to do on it.

When I got to college my mom suggested that I “do something with computers,” but I just sort of shrugged her off to pursue something more “academic” and picked up a major in English and Philosophy. When thinking about my future, I had this skewed notion that a career would just present itself to me after college. Of course, I was wrong.

After graduation, I continued working at a restaurant I had worked at while in college. After some introspection about my interests, I realized the thing I was most passionate and excited about had been right in front of my face. I decided to research tech careers and knew it was what I was meant to be doing.

From there, I learned about OSU’s post-bacc program and decided it would be the best route for me. Through this program, I have been able to gain the necessary skills to land an internship with a company that I will be returning to as a full-time software engineer after graduation.

Turns out mom’s are always right.

One response to “Hello world!”

1. OSU Avatar

Hi, this is a comment.