MGMT 549 Blog

My last summer internship is at an eCommerce company in China. My position is sales representative. I accepted this internship mainly because the company offers great compensation for employees, also include interns. I have learned goal-setting motivation theory in my undergraduate courses. goal setting motivation theory views goals as the primary drivers of the intensity and persistence of effort. Goals refer to the objectives or aims of an action. It typically refers to attaining a specific standard of proficiency within a specified time limit. First, I had a very clear goal for this summer internship. At the same time, this eCommerce company also clearly tell me about my job responsibilities, monthly goal, rewards, and compensations for employees to reach the goal. I can know specific goals and what compensation I can get for reaching the goal. In addition, my supervisor also told us about the support we would have when we encounter difficulties. From the course lecture, I have learned that both extrinsic and intrinsic monetary and nonmonetary rewards are important to employees. I feel my work is valued as I can earn much monetary compensation, so I decide to accept this summer internship. Based on this goal-setting motivation theory, assigning employees some specific and difficult goals will better motivate them than no goals or easy goals. In addition, the goals can also need to be linked with specific rewards and compensations. As specific rewards and compensations can better motivate employees to work for the goal.