my career journey

Hi there!

I worked as a Registered Landscape Architect in Asia and North America for over a decade before switching to tech. As much as I enjoyed my previous career, after moving to the States, I found that I didn’t have many opportunities to work on projects that have a bigger impact and benefit the general public. I also miss working with the top talents, as the building industry was best paid where I used to work.

I did some research before my career switch and decided to go with Computer Science. I enjoy the logic and objective part of the subject, and how it can scale and make a huge impact. I am also glad that my project management and people skills gained from the previous field are very useful here too.

I had a successful internship last summer and got a return offer as a full-time software engineer. I will start my new job in August. Given the current job market and how the interview process can be very different from day-to-day work, I highly recommend CS students to at least get one internship done before the last term.

I worked on a few full-stack web development and mobile app projects outside of OSU school work. So far, the part I enjoyed the most is database design. It might appear to be simple but is so critical to the project’s success. One needs to have the big picture in mind at the planning stage, and experience is extremely valuable at this stage.

When I am not busy with school or work, I love to spend time with my family. I have a three-year-old who wants to spend all the time with us. If I ever get spare time to myself, I enjoy traveling, jewelry making, visiting parks, exhibitions, watching stage plays, and hiking.