P-GQS Symptom 4: Flashes of euphoria

Pre-Graduation Quarter Syndrome occurs in students either entering or in the last quarter of their degree program.

Flashes of euphoria are another prevalent symptom of PGQS. The student oftentimes will daydream about their possible future life, be it as a graduate student, an employee in industry, or a life unrelated to their major. This daydreaming may lead to extreme excitement about the possibilities. A major risk factor for this symptom is applying to jobs or schools in different states or countries. This can oftentimes lead the student to ponder what life would be like in such a position and the excitement that comes along with that lifestyle. A job offer or letter of acceptance are highly likely to lead to this symptom.

I’ve received an offer!

All the doubt and the thick fog surrounding my future has cleared a pathway to success! The offer is for the California Bay area, so I’ll get to move back there and live with all my friends from my first undergraduate degree. Now I can relax in every other interview I have lined up, because I will know that there is no pressure. I’ll be alright, regardless of the result.

It’s kind of crazy that I got an offer from my preferred company, and nobody else. Somehow the stars have just aligned, and my path has essentially been divined for me. To be fair, this was the one opportunity that I really put my best foot forward in.

All the other interviews I had seem to have been stepping stones for me to get to where I needed to be. In each interview, I got a bit more comfortable with the rigor of technical interviews, up until the point that I was ready for this one. It’s funny because I was so upset after some of the rejections, but I should have had a bit more confidence that the pain and failure of one interview was guiding me towards success in another.

I feel so fortunate that my job search has gone the way that it has. I didn’t even mean for all of my other interviews to lead up to this one. I didn’t mean for this to be my the last interview–the one that I would be the best prepared for. Somehow it was, and another piece of the puzzle has fallen into place. I guess I’ve got to be more like the Philadelphia 76ers star center, Joel Embiid, and ‘Trust the Process’. Though, I’m not too sure how well that’s going for the team with the whole Ben Simmons fiasco.

Here’s to the euphoria of finally making it.