Marketing Myself

When I think about putting myself out there for potential employers, I always want to show how I would actually interact with the members of the company from the get-go. I have been told I am extraverted, which I like to emphasize. I like meeting new people and making myself known in an outward way is how I would go about it. I would start out by introducing myself to the employer in a big way, I would try to talk much about myself, but not too much so that the employer could not get a word in edgewise. This goes into my weaknesses however, I feel like I am a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to looking at situations. This over-critical approach could make me seem like I want my point of view to be heard over others, this is something I am actively working on.

If I were to create a situation wanted ad, I would advertise myself as someone who works well in groups, is outgoing, as well as tenacious, and willing to learn the tricks of the trade, and hopefully put my own spin on those engrained values. Recently I have joined a band which is somewhat a representation of a situation wanted ad. They were putting it out there that they needed a new member, and I marketed myself as someone who was competent on my instrument, with a focus on pushing new ideas and always making productive musical decisions. This worked out well for me, as now I am playing shows. Taking this experience into a more professional setting, I could see how a situation wanted ad could play out for me. I am looking for managerial experience in my career, I would attach previous experience as a project manager for a small painting company. I have the foundational skills to manage a team in a construction setting, which does involve a lot of communication and on-the-fly decisions. I would try to frame the situation in that I already have prior experience in one sector of business and was able to prove myself in that situation.