The Amazing Race: Crowd-Sourced Travel Planner

I figured for the last blog post I would talk about the project I’m working on! The project title is the “Crowd-Sourced Travel Planner”. Truthfully, I had no idea what crowd-sourced event meant, let alone that there were three types of capstone projects available. But, it turns out that I’ve(and probably you’ve) used web applications that were crowd sourced.

Applications like Quora, StackOverflow, and Yelp are crowd-sourced. These communities thrive because information comes from other users on the site. In our case, we are building an application that allows users to login and add “experiences”. Experiences can be anything and require some information, namely: a name, location, description, image, and rating.

My main contributions to this project are Bootstrap-style handlebar components and the trips feature. The trips feature is a collection of experiences, aka a list. You can add experiences to a trip to save them. Currently, I have the base styling of the trips feature implemented, as well as creating a trip and editing its name. The next step is to add nested components that will allow users to search for experiences and marking them into the appropriate trip!

This project has been a fun recap of 340 and 290, so I’m excited to see where the second half of this project goes. I should add that the team chose to deliver the application as a web app that is hosted on the school server, our database is MySQL(thank you 467 admins!).