HR Management: Week 6

Student blog for MGMT 453- Human Resources Management

The Importance of Comprehensive Training

Why Training is Crucial to Employee Enrichment and Decreased Turnover

I have had multiple training opportunities through my current job as a social worker over the past six months. Some have gone really well, others.. not so much. In my opinion, comprehensive training always consists of the same factors, the amount of material covered in a length of time, multiple opportunities for the participants to practice or role play situations, and the trainers ability to keep the participants engaged.

One very beneficial training I attended for work was the Life Space Crisis Intervention training for professionals working in social services and special education. This training was especially beneficial because it was a cumulative 16 hours worth of information, review, and practice. The trainer provided written materials for us to study and take notes with, fidget toys so we could pay attention, and gave us multiple breaks with snacks. The information was hard to absorb but the trainer pushed us outside of our comfort zone and expanded out ways of thinking. I left the training feeling empowered, better prepared for my work, and most importantly: excited.

A not-so-great training I attended was for a seasonal job at a large retailer. The training did not teach me much about my position, or who to go to with questions. It was very short, around an 1 hour, and was a basic overview for all positions, not specific to mine. I left feeling more confused than confident, and in the end only stayed with the company for two weeks

In an article from Harvard Business Review, the author mentions that on average companies lose 17% of their new employees within the first 3 months (Ellis, 2017). While the amount of training needed varies by position, a cashier and a brain surgeon don’t need the same amount of hours in training before starting the job. However, regardless of the amount of time spent in training, the quality of the training is what’s most important. Training should be an opportunity for the company to set the expectations with new employees, empower them to be confident in their new positions, and gage their response to things like meetings and serious topics of discussion. Training is also not a one-and -done situation, it should be continuous and can be effective in a mentor setting, too. Harvard’s Business Review cites that in a study following recent college graduates in newly professional jobs, the ones that had more frequent support from their managers correlated with better role clarity, higher job satisfaction, and potentially higher wages (Ellis, 2017). Training should encompass a mindset of continuous growth and improvement to get the results you want to see from your new hires.

Citations

ELLIS, A. M. et al. Your New Hires Won’t Succeed Unless You Onboard Them Properly. Harvard Business Review Digital Articles[s. l.], p. 2–4, 2017. Disponível em: https://search-ebscohost-com.ezproxy.proxy.library.oregonstate.edu/login.aspx?direct=true&db=buh&AN=123809484&site=ehost-live. Acesso em: 3 nov. 2021.