Capstone Reflections

It’s been a great quarter and I’m shocked there are only a few more weeks left! 

As this quarter winds down, it’s astonishing how swiftly time has passed during my program. Reflecting on my capstone project, it’s been a rollercoaster of challenges, unexpected breakthroughs, and moments of clarity where nuggets I’ve absorbed over the past few years finally fell into place.

One of the most gratifying aspects of this quarter has been seeing the practical application of concepts I initially doubted would have much relevance in my future career. Code smells? Unit testing? Those can’t really be useful, right? Engaged in the development of real software for an actual company’s website, I’ve come to realize the profound impact that testing, documentation, and other best coding practices can have on a project of this scale (even when they are not used…yikes!).

Perhaps a close second in terms of success this quarter was my team’s ability to quickly learn and adapt to a novel ecosystem. Shopify, graphQL, Remix–all of this technology was new to us. Rising to the challenge, though, we were able to still apply our past experience to these new frameworks and start writing useful code quickly.

This capstone has given me much more confidence in the information I have learned during this program. New fields of study no longer seem as daunting as they did just a couple months prior. I am newly encouraged and am excited about the career I have just stepped into!