From Theory to Practice

Digging into my new industry-sponsored project was something I had been excited for during the past few weeks. The chance to apply my coding abilities to a REAL project for a REAL company–what could be better? 

My excitement quickly faded as I began to appreciate what all would be involved in making progress on this application. Our project is a Shopify application, and this meant that our team had to learn the Shopify ecosystem. Shopify has built a world of their own: a library of interconnected APIs, their own stack (Remix), their own headless store structure (Hydrogen), their own hosting platform (Oxygen). All of this was new to us.

Would we have to spend the entire quarter learning this new framework or would we actually get a chance to write code and develop a product?

Thankfully, after the initial shock of “everything is new and nothing is familiar,” we were able to see that the fundamentals we’ve been learning over the past couple years were still applicable. Functions are still functions, loops are still loops, stacks are still stacks.

This week our team has been writing code, strategizing about API queries, and collaborating within the Shopify framework which just a few short weeks ago was brand new to us. This has been a very validating project showing us that we have learned some valuable skills here at OSU.