Dining Table Napkins and Coming Full Circle

I first started learning to code on my own when I was 13. I’ve come a long way since then, having taken a few different paths. But now, here I am, in my last term of college about to get my Bachelor of Science degree in Computer Science.

Do you want to see my first web site? Here it is. I originally made it when I was 13 (we’re talking 1998) and last updated it when I was 15. It’s about the cats I had at the time. I can’t believe it’s still up!

The thing that got me into learning HTML and CSS was when my dad took me to a work seminar on Macromedia Dreamweaver (which later became Adobe Dreamweaver). After that, I was hooked.

Later, when I was in high school, I took two years of programming classes. We learned Pascal, C, and C++. It wasn’t unusual to find me working out a problem on my napkin rather than eating my dinner at the dining room table. I had always loved doing logic problems, but programming took it to a whole new level. There were now infinite problems I could solve in many different ways!

My path from there was somewhat circuitous. First I wanted to write, but it didn’t take me long to remember I wanted to code. However, it turns out I’m terrible at physics, and that’s the honest reason that I ended up with a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree in Interactive Media Design, which did include coding but also lots of other things (and not physics!).

I worked in web design for a few years but had a negative experience, so I became a medical coder (not to be confused with programming) and did that for six years. By the end of it, I was pining for programming again.

Through self-study, I sharpened my rusty skills. With the help of a friend in the industry, I eventually got a job as a software engineer working the backend. That’s really what I always wanted to do. However, after a few more years, I found it too hard to get another job without a degree in Computer Science, so I decided it was finally time to get one.

That brings us to now. I almost have it and can’t wait to go back to work! I’m so glad that I always knew it was okay to change my mind and that I ultimately came back around to getting this degree. Working in computer science can be stressful, but it’s definitely worth it for me.

One response to “Dining Table Napkins and Coming Full Circle”

1. I created a website for the first time self-taught with php and javascript programming languages, and now I’m registered as a web developer in a government agency