Hello and welcome to my first blog post. My name is Kristen and I have no idea what it means to be a successful online learner. Okay, I wouldn’t say no idea, but I am definitely not as adept on the subject as I once thought I was. This is my first time taking classes online through Oregon State, and my second time taking online classes ever. The first time I took online classes was in high school, and let’s just say it was “sub-par”. I only did it for the last semester of my senior year. The main reason why I chose online learning versus in-person is because it lets me work on things at my own pace and at times where I feel comfortable. Although, I still got that in high school (somewhat), it sill doesn’t compare to my experience with OSU so far. OSU’s ecampus is so much more organized, engaging, and challenging. Which is where I have realized that this is going to be a lot harder than I expected. You’re really encouraged to interact with classmates and teachers through discussions (and now blogs), which is what seriously lacked in my previous online experience. This is something I will have to get used to, but I do believe it’s going to seriously benefit my learning experience. Another big difference would have to be the workload, but I expected that since I was transitioning from high school to college. One thing I wasn’t as prepared for though, would be the amount of information I have to teach to myself. A lot of the coursework consists of reading through textbooks and then comprehending the information on your own. I already know that this is going to be my biggest challenge. But now that I realize that, I am going to start taking steps to help me get through it. These past couple of weeks, I have learned methods and strategies that will benefit my specific learning strengths, and help me with my weaknesses. I realized that I cannot just read through information to fully grasp it. I am going to have to find ways to present the information to myself in a multitude of ways. As long as I can pinpoint my weaknesses, and figure out ways to overcome them, I should have no problems getting through my online classes. With that said, it seems like I actually DO know what it takes to be a successful online learner!

8 thoughts on “Successful Online Learner? What’s that?

1. So here I go again. Don’t you love this online learning? For me it is the way to go as I live out of town about 30 miles. So driving, finding a parking spot up at the college and having to be somewhere at a specified time is a big deal. This is my first Blog too. Online has not been a challenge for me until now I am acting like I am still on Spring Break. So I have to get me methods and strategies back into place.

Reply
    • Online learning definitely has its conveniences! And we’re on the same boat. I’m still acting like I’m on spring break too. It must be the warm weather.

Reply
  2. I love the way your FIRST blog post evolves! Look at you expanding into all kinds of frontiers!!!

It sounds like you really do understand success, and it has very little to do with jumping through hoops. It starts with understanding yourself, doesn’t it? Trying and learning along the way, but being committed to being your best advocate (and yes, in an online environment, a self-manager of your learning in many ways). You have a great network of folks to support you – from your peers who are navigating new territory, too, to your own close cheerleaders, to your advisors, Ecampus supporters, and campus contacts to help you through. Keep up the determined work!!! And keep blogging!

Reply
    • Thank you! And thank you for reminding me of all the people I have along side of me. Sometimes I forget that there are a bunch of other people like me that are having the same struggles.

Reply
  3. I have taken a few online classes now in other schools and two others at OSU. I will have to agree that there is a great demand in the written communication side of things. But I have found this to be probably one of the most valuable skills any person can have in a career, and as a result, I can see that online students definitely have the upper hand here. Although some people still have a low opinion of online education, for whatever reason, it’s my opinion that this will change very soon, and it may even give a person a leg up when applying for a job.

Reply
    • I agree. Written communication is very important, especially in today’s society when you can pretty much do everything online. I was always the shy, quiet girl in class that never really interacted with peers, so being forced to do it online is a good way to break me out of my shell and practice my communicating abilities.

Reply
  4. I too will miss the in-person contact with my instructors a very important component to education. It is those experiences that the instructor has had in their field and the personal interaction that I will miss. With terms being as short as they are I am concerned that if you only have one class with an instructor that students will only remember the material and not the instructor. For example, people may ask me what the class subject was and I would be able to tell them two years from now but if they were to ask me who taught the class, I would have to admit I don’t remember. I remember all my in class instructors over the last almost 40 years, all of them helped to form the kind of person I am. Some of my instructors gave me odd jobs to do after school at their homes so that I could afford to feed my family. I will miss the Dr. Lou Riesenbergs by taking online classes.

Reply