Since I have started this course, I have been able to identify the strengths that I already had and that are relevant to my online learning. I am naturally organized, and prefer to make lists and notes when it comes to anything important in my life. This includes budgeting as well as notating any important tasks or dates on a weekly or monthly basis. I find that this has been extremely helpful in keeping myself from becoming overwhelmed with my new role as a college student.

This came as a surprise to me because I obtained my GED a year after I was supposed to graduate high school and just focused on raising my children since. I was really nervous that being out of the school routine for so long would be too overwhelming and that I would end up dropping out. However, I’m at Week 3 now and I seem to be managing rather decently. I hope that I can manage to stay on track and not get discouraged.

I did experience some struggles, of course. My youngest child is only 1, and she is really attached to me and requires a lot of my attention throughout the day. This has limited my time to commit to schoolwork to mostly late nights and early mornings. I also picked up an additional 2 classes during the second week so that I could be considered a full-time student. That had to be the most stressful point, because I had to catch up on the first week of both classes. I also realized that the two classes I picked up weren’t the easiest either. I managed to get through it though, and I think I’m slowly balancing everything out again. One thing for sure, I won’t ever spontaneously add classes late into the start of the term again because I almost set myself up for more than I could handle.

5 thoughts on “Blog Post #1: Strengths, Surprises, & Struggles

1. Good morning! I, too, obtained my GED about a year after I was supposed to graduate. I was frustrated with the idea of school because even though I had excellent grades, I was not going to be allowed to graduate with my high school class due to their strict attendance policy. I was very angry because I wasn’t absent due to skipping school, but due to chronic bronchitis that had me out for weeks at a time. So I waited to begin college as well. This is my second term, and I can tell you that it does get easier. I feel for you that your baby is only 1, because I know how demanding my girls were at that age. I have it easier than you in that aspect, because mine are teenagers. I should actually be graduating college about the same time that my youngest will graduate high school! Good luck to you, and I know with your organizational skills, you’ll do just fine!

Reply
  2. I also obtained my GED. I couldn’t wait to be a ‘grown-up’ so I took mine when I was 16 so I could move out and be on my own. If I could tell my 16 year old self what I know now my life would be so different. When I started I had been out of school for years and was so afraid to start again but I knew that this was the best opportunity for me. It was very brave of you to add classes. That had to have been scary and stressful. You shouldn’t get discouraged, it sometimes takes awhile to get into a routine with online classes, but once you do, you should be able to sail through it. Being organized is a huge plus with online classes. I hope everything goes well for you and if you need help don’t hesitate to ask for it. From your professors and instructors, fellow students, advisors and online tutoring.

Reply
  3. I obtained my high school diploma through community college prior to my class graduating because I was a teen parent. I went on to attain my degree including a PhD All But Dissertation status (basically, I have not plans to complete it at this time but maybe one day). I commend your effort with young children. I only had one, but I know how hard it was to squeeze in brick and mortar courses. Keep up the good work!

Reply
  4. You are definitely crazy for adding two more classes in week 2. I started off taking enough credits to be a full time student, and it isnt easy. You are definitely ambitious for jumping right back into full-time student status. Keep up the good work! I know you can handle this. It’ll just take a bit to get used to the flow of the class and how to make it work for you!

Reply
  5. I think you will find your organization skills and your experience running a household (those mother organization talents we develop) will serve you well as you return to school. Juggling school, kids, and life can certainly be a challenge. I too use extra time late at night after my girls are in bed (which, fortunately, is a peak time for me as far as productivity). I can’t imagine the stress of adding two courses during the second week – when you finish this term successfully, you’ll know you can do just about anything!!

Reply