When I am learning something new or even studying something I have been learning my easiest learning is visual and writing. I learn best when I have the material in front of me with details about how to use the material. Online learning for me is not as hard as it can be for people who learn differently. I am detail oriented, keep track of my grades easily and am able to stick to a schedule. I schedule out my time so that I have plenty of time to spend doing my homework, working and taking care of a house. The challenges that I have faced so far are learning to use a new system for homework, not being able to meet the instructors personally or schedule time to have a face to face with them. Some instructions are not as clear to me and it would be easier to just ask the instructor, online however, I have to email that professor and then wait for a reply which then throws off my schedule and can cause a lot of frustration. Online work can also lead to feeling alone with what you are going through, you can sometimes feel as if there is no one else that is going through the same things you are. Just because you can’t see your classmates does not mean they are not there. I think most of us would be more than willing to help a fellow student. I know that if someone needed something I would be more than willing to help. So don’t feel alone. We are all here going through the same things.

13 thoughts on “Challenges

1. I, too, miss the interaction with the instructor. That’s a point I had not considered; probably because I am notoriously lacking in noticing things that are not there….as it were.
    Good to hear from you and thank you for the encouragement that we (each of us classmates) are not alone! Thanks…..

Reply
    • Sometimes it is just easier to be able to ask a question directly if you are in a hurry for the answer or are running late on an assignment. The best part of online classes is choosing when you can work on them and adjusting your own schedule. I think one of the hardest parts is just not being able to walk up to someone from class and asking for help or just clarification. Even though we aren’t all face to face we should still be able to ask each other for help.

Reply
  2. Hello,

I can relate to the struggle of sometimes not understanding the instructions clearly. Sometimes it’s hard to know exactly what is expected without an example. I have come across this issue a couple of times since the term started. Lack of face to face interaction doesn’t really bother me, since I am really shy anyway in general. However, I can see how some issues I might have, I’d much rather address to the instructor person versus email. I also agree on your stance about helping one another out. I am also willing to help if anyone should feel that have no support among their online peers. Glad to see that little bit of advice at the end, I think it’s a good message for all of us. Thank you & good luck!

Reply
    • I have come across some times as well when I don’t completely understand an assignment or small area that doesn’t feel as if it is explained well. I believe that sometimes it is easier to turn to a fellow student than it is to ask the professor or instructor.

Reply
  3. I also like the ability to track details without me having to set up my own system (Canvas is better than Blackboard for this too). The other courses I’ve taken are science courses and I’ve not found the fellow students to be particularly “chatty” – although now that this course has started, I’m trying to encourage it. We shall see if it’s a success or not!

Reply
    • I understand. I also in the past have not found fellow students to be chatty. But, I am not sure if that has to do with not wanting to be or if they are just so busy it is hard to be. I work full-time, go to school full-time and am a caregiver for my disabled mother. I also spend a lot of time taking care of my friends kids to give them breaks. So my life is busy, busy, busy. I do however plan to make time to spend talking to other students and being there for anyone in need. If I can help anyone I don’t want them to hesitate to contact me.

Reply
  4. Interesting discussion on the instructor interaction. I do most of my work through email and my cell phone is used mostly as a texting device, so I find I prefer the electronic means. I don’t feel like I’m “intruding” on anyones time. The only problem is the results are not always immediate! Good discussion.

Reply
    • I don’t normally feel as it is an intrusion, but answering tons of emails all the time can be draining and someone may feel overlooked in the shuffle. I normally feel great about contacting via technology, but there are times when it would be more productive to be able to see face to face. Also, yes the time factor. When you are in a rush or feel the pressure of a dead line it is quite difficult to wait for an email you may not receive for 24 hours or more.

Reply
  5. I think you speak to a central theme of successful online learning – engagement! Whether it’s with the content, the instructor, other classmates, or the larger OSU community, it is so important to feel “connected,” as you mentioned. I’m already enjoying the conversation regarding ideas for interacting with instructors and classmates, and also about planning for increased communication time! Such a great topic Penny!

Reply
    • I am really enjoying this class so far. I like to interact and hear other people’s opinions, especially when it is constructive and not destructive. It is hard as an online student to feel as ‘connected’ as you would feel while going to classes, but you can connect if you work at it. Some people may not want to connect, and that is fine, but some do and I think it’s great to reach out to those who may feel overwhelmed or a little lonely working alone.

Reply
  6. This is my first attempt at online learning and the other class I am taking is Environmental History. I prefer to work independently and the the lack of interaction with the instructor doesn’t necessarily bother me, unless I have an issue that I can’t work through. Do other types of classes utilize methods such as Skype, Google Hangout, etc., for instructor interaction? If so, please provide me some examples of things you all have experienced.

Reply
    • The only class I have ever had that used Skype or anything like that was a Humanities class. Unfortunately, most classes do not have interactions in that way. Most classes consider the discussion board enough of an interaction, and those that try involvement in other forms are usually small group assignments or projects and they will use blackboard or something in that area. I have heard that a couple of my required classes may involve online live lectures but I am not sure. I also like to work independently most of the time because I like to be graded on the quality of my work and not someone else’s. There are times however that it is good to be able to talk with your fellow students about an assignment or something you may not have understood.

Reply
  7. During my first term of online courses I took a Microbiology course. The Discussion Board activity was generally limited to the prompt for the week but, during the first few weeks, I was able to identify a couple of classmates who seemed to work in a similar timeframe to me and I had a feeling our skills were comparable. I contacted them and we set up a long-distance study group – we would work through practice tests and study guides together and review one another’s work. One bonus of that course was we had two lab weekends in Corvallis. It was fun to meet our instructor and one another. I am still in contact with one of these women and it’s been great to have a little extra support from another online student.

Reply