MGMT 448 Blog Posts

Week 10 – Most Important Thing You’ve Learned

The most important thing I have learned during the course of this class is that there are many ways that perspective employers determine your qualification for a job. I was always taught that these are main parts of the application and interview process: applying for the job, your resume, cover letter, references and interview. This course has taught me all kinds of new techniques that I could come in contact with as I apply for full-time jobs post-graduation.

In addition to all of the above aspects of recruitment and selection there are various tests that am employer could give you to analyze a specific part of your personality. For example, there cognitive tests, job knowledge tests, integrity tests, personality tests, and many more that the hiring company uses to make hiring decisions that are completely separate from your well-thought out resume or your superb interview skills. Though resumes are important to get you in the door and interviews allow for a face to face interaction with the hiring team, these tests could mean being hired or weeded out by a simple computer program and algorithm.

I now understand that a hiring committee may use cognitive testing to assess my problem-solving abilities as well as my ability to adapt to change. I also understand that personality testing may be used to measure my traits that won’t change over time in order to get to know me better and how I will fit in their company. I now know that job knowledge testing will assess if I already possess the specific skills needed for the job. Finally, I know that integrity testing may be used to reduce risk regarding problems that may arise if they hire someone who does not possess the integrity expected for the job.

This class has allowed me to become aware of all of these tests in order to be more prepared when applying for jobs that may require one or more of these tests. I am glad that this course prepared me to look out for other means of testing candidate qualifications so that I am not surprised when these means of testing are expected of me when being considered for a job. I hope that this leg up will allow me to take on the test with confidence and knowledge that the company believes that this test is relevant for success in the job itself.

2 replies on “Week 10 – Most Important Thing You’ve Learned”

I also thought it was important to learn all of this as well. I never realized that many companies will do cognitive ability testing on their applicants, so that is something useful I learned as well. I think knowing that there is much more to the hiring process than a simple resume and interview is valuable information to be aware of when starting to apply to jobs post graduation.

Hi,
Your reflection was very well-done! I agree with you that my understanding of the job hiring process was limited to resumes, cover letters, interviews before this course. The vast number of tests that can be used for hiring and selection was fascinating to learn about. I think it is essential to know this as a human resources person, but it is also helpful to know as a job applicant. We will all be job applicants several times throughout our careers, and knowing this information about tests will help prepare us and make us more aware of how to do well in the process. Great post! And it has been great hearing your thoughts all term.