Environmental and Social Good Design

I think the first and foremost way to implement environmental and social good in design is to pick and research the place where you are working. This can either look like a place that already follows green designing, or a place in which you know could use more. It’s all about how your skills play into it as well. I would say that if you need more practice with sustainable design, to look for a career that really goes hard in the paint on that. However, if you feel as if you are in your bag and you know the ins and outs of including and sourcing materials or processes in which help socially or environmentally then I would say look into a job where you can influence change. It all starts with a single pebble sometimes, to make a big splash. Also being aware and up to date on sustainable practices, doing that extra work of learning by yourself outside of your career is viable, because the Earth is essentially I would argue the biggest reason you are alive and that others are alive and that future people will be alive, and having a sense of morals on you will also take you far.

There are two companies I really respect which is the Guayaki Yerba Mate brand, and the LIV bar brand. Guayaki Yerba Mate has a market-driven restoration business model, and a triple bottom line which focuses on financial, social, and environmental health. They also align themselves with activist and educational groups. The next is LIV bar which is locally sourced in Salem Oregon, they use 100% compostable wrappers made from cellulose as well as having their bars be gluten, soy, dairy, corn, and GMO free. Most of their products are vegetarian and they also have vegan options too.

My own level of responsibility is to learn more on how I can start change myself, what more I could be doing. I’ve been vegan for a year now almost, yet I know there is way more I can contribute than just my diet. I think ultimately it has to be a lifestyle, there has to be a force outside yourself driving you to live in such a way that goes outside of yourself, which is very hard for some people to do. It’s also hard when you are involved, yet your voice doesn’t matter or you are told it doesn’t matter. It’s so easy to give up especially when you hear “no”, that’s what we are socially taught to do from a very young age, personally a no for me just means that door is closed maybe for now, who knows if it might open somewhere later down the line. I didn’t realize I had such a big social responsibility until I was told that what I design directly impacts the environment, I care about about the environment! I care about ending the suffering of our planet and of living species, that’s the first and most important step; the rest will follow naturally.

https://www.goodenergy.co.uk/blog/2017/08/22/ultimate-guide-eco-friendly-living/

https://livbar.com/pages/sustainability

https://kwhs.wharton.upenn.edu/2013/03/restoring-the-rainforest-guayaki-brews-environmental-and-social-change/