Passcode Accepted

As an idea for something our escape room game I wanted to utilize a 3D model for a keypad. I wanted to be able to allow the user to click buttons numbered 0-9 as well as confirm and clear buttons. Unfortunately the searches that I did for free 3D models on the internet didn’t really pan out.

Since I couldn’t find one, I just decided to make one for myself. It’s basically just a rectangular prism created in Unity that has a bunch of colored rectangles with text on them to represent buttons. At the top is another small section that works as a window showing what the user has already typed in. Throw a collider on each of the buttons and bam, you’ve got a keypad. It was a little troublesome to get up and running. It seemed that the text didn’t always want to show up, so I had to do some digging into how to update the canvas elements in a way to make sure that wouldn’t happen. After a few (slightly frustrating at times) hours, I had a keypad model that I was pretty proud of. Then I got to do the fun part of actually getting it to be functional.

Image