In Search of Models

I spent a bit of time working on creating a good tutorial puzzle for the escape room game that my team is creating in Unity. It involved taking an inventory component that had already been created and using the equipped item to interact with the environment. Putting a lone book that was left out back on the shelf where it belongs triggers the unlocking of a desk drawer. The desk drawer has a key that allows the user to leave the room. A pretty basic puzzle, but we wanted to keep it simple for our tutorial room.

After that though, I’ve been steadily working on creating my room and the puzzles that are going to go in it. It was a little difficult at first coming up with puzzle ideas. Once they started to come they didn’t want to start. This led me to a problem that I hadn’t really thought about, a lack of 3D models to actually implement my ideas. I have little to no experience in 3D models, but I figured that if I had an idea than surely there would be existing free models out there that I could use to make it work. It is definitely not that simple. It’s a bit of a bummer to have an idea for a puzzle only to have to cut it back due to a lack of graphics. Unfortunately with the timeframe of our project, we don’t really have the time to create all of our own unique models.

I’m working on tailoring my ideas to work with the models that are available to me, but I can’t help but hold out a little hope that I’ll stumble across a site that will just have all the models that I need to bring my ideas to life.