Week 8 – Behaviors and Compensation

This year, as a graduating senior, I had to apply to and consider many different job offers within the construction management field. I was weighing options based on location, benefits, company culture, and largely, compensation. I ended up choosing one of my job offers in Seattle, as my desired location for post-graduate work. Because I was settling in a larger city, I had to consider compensation on a number of factors. First, on how I value my own work and experience, and what I could bring to the table even as a entry-level position. Secondly, I had to base my decision on the cost of living in Seattle (or any city I decided to live in after graduation). And finally, I also had to consider the kind of lifestyle I wanted to live, and whether or not the base salary aligned with my goals to reach a certain salary by the time I turn 25. I picked a job offer that gave me a higher salary than most of the other offers, but it was only my second highest offer. I think I picked this job because I grew up in a household where we didn’t always have financial security, and not having a lot of money has affected my decisions and been a limiting factor, even in my education. To me, having financial security and a good savings is incredibly important, especially to take care of my family and set myself up for the future. I also want to make sure that I can live comfortably and in an environment where I can thrive, learning new skills and trying new things in the city.