Chugging Along

I thought for this blog post that I would do a quick update on my project. I’m currently working on allowing for the containerization of custom scripts for a laboratory notebook. This is an industry backed project so my team has to deal with an existing codebase.

This definitely has its own set of challenges. When I did an internship last summer, I made a comment that it felt like all I’ve done is look at the existing code and copy it to fit my needs. The team laughed and said “yup that’s what this job is.” So far, a lot of what my Casptone group has done has been defining exactly what our client wants and digging through the codebase and making sense of it.

I decided to make a table where I list the name of a file (and the location in the codebase) and what I think the file is doing, important functions, etc. I kept getting confused because I would find a key function and then forget where I saw it. This table has been a great help.

I’ve finally started doing some coding. I’m working on the file upload for these custom scripts as well as storing within the database. I’ve never used mongoose/mongoDB before so I’ve been trying to learn more about it. I think the actual functionality won’t be too complicated since there is already code for file uploads but I need to just jump in and try to break it so that I can really figure out what I’m doing. But I’m positive I’ll get there pretty quickly once it all clicks.

That’s it for my quick update. I’m impressed at the speed the quarter is going by. It’s crazy that it’s halfway through already!