Motivation 4 Compensation

I can remember back when I was a door-to-door salesperson that sold subscriptions for a local newspaper company. This job was one of the first jobs I’ve ever worked, let alone commissioned-based pay. I remember one late afternoon the team started making jokes because I only made 3 dollars in one day. Everyone else was making between 20 and 30 dollars a day which consisted of 4 hours of work. We were a group of kids between the ages of 15 and 16 years old so we were naive and ambitious. So one day I asked my friend how are you guys getting the sales, and he told me that they were lying to the customers and said it was for people with special needs. This whole time I was telling the truth and wasn’t getting as near as much money as them, so what do you think I did? So I did the same and I started making the amount of money the others were making. This was clearly motivated by compensation, I got tired of walking in large neighborhoods selling subscriptions making little to no money. The company knew that if they paid us by the hour, we kids wouldn’t give as much effort. Creating the compensation program made us go out there and hustle with more efforts to sell subscriptions. You have to remember this was in the late 1990s when companies would come to our apartment complex and pick us up in minivans. Then they would distribute us around a very large housing complex in 80 to 90-degree weather. You have to understand I was raised up in poverty and the first chance I got to make a paycheck, as we say in my culture “I Jumped off the porch.”. This heavily motivated my drive to do what was necessary to make that compensation.