Day 5

image

Day 5 included a trip to Shatto Milk Company and Schweiver Orchards. Shatto Milk Co was really cooimagel. They had a lot of other people out there getting a tour as well. I was surprised to hear that people come for tours everyday but Sunday and Monday. The tour was really fun and interesting; we got to see their milking parlor and how they operate, see their barns, pet some of the baby cows and even got to milk a cow. My favorite part of the tour was the milk sampling; I could not believe how many flavored of milk they had and how good they were! Cotton candy, root beer, coffee, chocolate peanut butter, cookies and cream, banana, chocolate and strawberry flavored milk! I had a hard time deciding which was my favorite but I narrowed it down to cotton candy, strawberry and cookies and cream but I really loved all of them! I really enjoyed this tour and thought it was very neat.

image      image

After we’d had our share of milk samples, we headed out to the apple orchard. We went to the farm that was open to the public where they had U-Pick apples and other fruit, hay rides, an area for kids to play, their store where they sold their produce. They also grew pumpkins and Christmas trees, and had a “corn” maze. Our tour guide was an owner of the company and shared the good and bad things involved with his farming but was very positive and happy to see young people wanting to be involved with agriculture. Something very interesting that I learned from this tour is that they paint their Christmas trees green. They were green when we saw them but as it gets closer to Christmas they turn yellow and need to be painted to look like a Christmas tree again. Something I found funny was that they had a small pumpkin patch that was available to the public that they refill with pumpkins from a bigger patch at a different location. The pumpkins are all sitting there shiny and clean and not attached to them stem but nobody ever questions it.

image  image

Another great day!