MGMT 453 extra credit

We may feel guilty when we examine our own views and how we treat others. Even if we are not consciously biased against others, our perceptions and relationships may be impacted in ways that are not immediately obvious. This is known as “implicit bias”.
The findings of the implicit attitude test revealed that I had a more favorable attitude toward attractive people. This might imply that I am more inclined to favor the more handsome individual when dealing with others or making decisions, rather than treating other attributes equally. Such a test, however, does not imply that I am an absolute example of such conduct, but rather that I have a favorable subconscious propensity toward attractiveness. I didn’t realize the depth of my implicit prejudice until I completed this exam, but I believed it was still rather significant when deciding. Implicit bias may impact the selection process’s reliability and validity. When recruiting, analyzing competency, or making judgments, there may be preferences that are impacted by an individual’s subconscious biases rather than real skills or attributes. This awareness is crucial for understanding oneself and reducing the influence of unconscious prejudice.

“We are all guilty of letting certain perceptions influence how we perceive and/or interact with others and certain situations, even if we don’t realize it. The cause? Implicit bias.” This quote is a powerful illustration of the impact of implicit bias. Even when we try to avoid bias, it can potentially play a role in our perceptions and decisions. Understanding and realizing this is the first step in reducing the impact of implicit bias on the selection process. Training, broadening hiring panels, and adopting fairness standards can all assist in lessening the impact of unconscious prejudice. These strategies are intended to raise individual and organizational awareness of implicit bias, lowering its potential influence and boosting the selection process’s reliability and validity. Everyone has an inherent prejudice, but we can seek to decrease the influence of this bias via knowledge and action to establish a fairer and more equitable society.

Reference:

Rozalynn S. Frazier, C. P. T. (2023, January 20). Understanding implicit bias-and how to work through it. Real Simple. https://www.realsimple.com/health/mind-mood/implicit-bias