Writing Exercise #5

I consciously make choose certain foods try to maintain a certain diet that will improve the microbial health in my digestive tract. I was introduced to a lot of different types of foods when I was young because my parents really liked to try new and foreign foods. I took that same mindset into my late teens and early 20’s. Sadly, my financial status as a college student and limited time seem to restrict my diet. However, I still make an effort to keep my microbial community strong. I recently have been drinking a lot of Kombucha to improve my overall health. I try and stay away from fried and fast foods by making my own food. Usually, I stick to lean meats like ground turkey because I know that high concentrations of fats can have a negative impact on microbial health. I also try to incorporate a healthy amount of vegetables and fruits into my diet. Finally, I drink plenty of water.

I don’t take a lot of supplements or consume a may products that would affect my microbial health. I usually try and take multivitamins but I am not very consistent with it. After watching the lecture about probiotics and prebiotics, I concluded that it might be a good idea to take them both, especially if I am not eating a lot of fiber rich foods.

Because I usually eat well, I don’t feel very guilty when I do have some fast food. As long as I keep a diverse diet and limit some of the bad foods, I can remain confident that my microbial community will be diverse and strong.