Coping with Stress

Self-awareness plays a key factor in personal growth and overall well-being. When we take a deep look into how we conduct ourselves and especially how we manage stress, we can gain a lot of beneficial insight as to how we act, and how we may need to grow. Unfortunately, self-evaluations can often be easily biased by our own thoughts, causing us to overlook things as we may believe these traits and actions are not correlated. In efforts to remove this bias, I utilized three different personal trait quizzes (“The Holmes-Rahe Life Stress Inventory”, and Psychology Today’s “Coping & Stress Management Skills Test” and “Type A Personality Test”) to gain deeper insight into my own actions and reactions.

What I learned About Myself

With a score 271, The Holmes-Rahe Life Stress Inventory, implied that I have “about a 50% chance of a major health breakdown in the next 2 years.”

The “Coping & Stress Management Skills Test” awarded a score of 81, indicating that I tend to employ problem-focused strategies to deal with stress. While this approach is effective for controllable stressors, it may not be as helpful when facing situations beyond our control. Consequently, recognizing the need to adapt my coping strategies depending on the circumstances is essential.

The “Type A Personality Test” awarded a score of 41, highlighting that while I generally interact with warmth and tolerance, there are moments when impatience and hostility emerge. This indicates the need for better anger management and stress reduction techniques to ensure healthy relationships and overall well-being.

Stress Management in Construction Management

Stress management is never easy, and construction management is notorious for being a stressful role. According to an article on gobridgit.com, there are several steps that I can take to alleviate extra stressors while in the workforce:

1. Understand the sources of stress.
    • Identify possible sources of stress during a project and work to prevent them from becoming a stressor.
  2. Pre-plan ahead to keep things in perspective.
    • Similarly to item one, but focusing on ways to prevent issues arising on the project.
  3. Employ effective communication.
    • Effective communication can do a lot to prevent issues from arising.
  4. Exercise regularly
    • Keeping oneself healthy can help one to cope with the stressors from work and life.
  5. Ask for help.
    • This can mean asking for help on a construction project, or seeking out a therapist. Both are great ways to help work through stressors on a construction project.
  6. Know when to turn off.
    • Keeping a good work-life balance will help prevent the stress of work from building up.

https://gobridgit.com/blog/how-to-handle-stress-as-a-construction-project-manager/