The most important thing I have learned

I attended multiple interviews in my whole career. I have seen hiring managers following traditional method of hiring based on their gut instinct or biased towards the candidate for multiple reasons or voodoo hiring. This resulted in hiring the wrong candidate causing damage to the company.

The most important thing I have learned from this course is ‘The A Method’ of hiring. I learned this method of hiring is very practical and step by step easy to implement process in identifying the right candidates for the job. This method promises 90% probability of selecting the best candidate for the job. The importance of the four steps of ‘The A Method’ of hiring: (i) Scorecard (ii) Source (iii) Select and (iv) Sell. Hiring manager should be very clear on the requirements of the job to define the Scorecard. I learnt the importance of the Scorecard as it does not end with hiring, but it is actual definition of each role and responsibilities that builds the business of the company. Another important thing I learnt is that when we hire ‘The A Player’, they build a team of A players.  

I understood what makes one job posting better than the others.  I learnt that this method recognizes the importance of the details that goes into the job posting. Sourcing through different methods and filtering the candidates through initial screening like phone interviews, skill tests, reference interviews is crucial in right sizing the candidates for next steps in selection process.

Some important concepts I learnt from this class is that a hiring team need to create the right questions and selection processes that a candidate recognizes the relevance of those to the job they are applying. I understood the importance of creating and using the interview scripts, questions. That helps in making a fair analysis of candidates when asked the same questions.

The last pat of the hiring process is selling the job to the right candidate, I learnt for this class that there many elements like work-life balance, fun culture, benefits, other than salary that play important role in selling the job to the right candidate.

I always wondered what type of costs that go into the hiring process. The group project work we did was a great learning experience in understanding the intricacies of job hiring process in the lines of ‘A Method’ hiring. The importance of defining the scorecard and making an informed decision by implementing relevant evaluations.

In the future I will be using the techniques mentioned in the A Method of hiring to hire the right candidates.

One response to “The most important thing I have learned”

1. John Edwards Avatar
    John Edwards

Hi Sesha,

It sounds like you have a great handle on the hiring of an ‘A’ Player from the method we learned in class. I also found it very easy to follow and that the steps, as simplistic as they are, appear to be habitually effective. I know for me, it is going to be a long time before I am able to effectively use this model just because of the career path I have chosen. It is a long road ahead, but I know I will get there some day. I think the hardest step will be working on an effective Scorecard. I think this is the most important step because not only does it set up applicants for what to expect, it gives the position direction and how it fits within the company. Without this initial part being set up correctly, it could lead the company down the wrong path and hiring someone who is a subpar player or simply the wrong fit for the role. It would thus waste everyone’s time and eventually the organization would have to start over. That initial setup is crucial and there is nothing more important than getting it right. While this is a lot of pressure, I am up for the challenge, and it is clear you are too. Good luck in your future endeavors.

Thanks,

John