Week 4 – Critiquing A Recruitment Ad

I like to think my brand and first impression is that I am professional. Obviously it depends who I am around and the situations I am in but for the most part I come off with a very professional manner. I like to talk to strangers and get to know them as it is a good way to network. This is one of my strengths as I am able to be friendly and easy to talk to which makes people feel comfortable and more likely to want to talk. A weakness could be that I might ask personal questions that people don’t want to share. I do this to get to know people, not to make them feel uncomfortable. What makes me unique is that I feel that I do not think like most people.

I think one way to make a visual and creative wanted ad would be to make a video. I think me being able to talk about myself makes it more personal rather than reading a resume with just words. Putting a face to a resume as well as a personality would make somebody stand out. I think employers would rather watch a 30 second to a minute video because it reveals so much more than a resume ever could. When companies are hiring at least based on what I have learned throughout my HR internship, is that companies look for employees who are willing to learn and would work well with current employees. With a video resume you are able to do this and can also eliminate the need for some parts of interviews. Also I am more of a visual learner and person so when I have the option to listen and watch over reading, I take that option. 

2 responses to “Week 4 – Critiquing A Recruitment Ad”

1. Hi Nicholas. I agree with you that the ability to communicate with a wide and diverse range of people is a valuable skill employers will want. And I wrote on the same idea for a creative way to communicate your personal brand- a video

2. Hi Nicholas,

I completely agree with being able to get to know people for who they are. Communication is an invaluable skill to have that employers are always looking for! It’s great that you are able to practice this in your day-to-day life by networking with strangers.