IPIP Results and Reactions

When I took the five dimension personality test I score very high in agreeableness and conscientiousness. I was only a little higher in agreeableness and then after conscientiousness, I scored in extroversion and then lastly neuroticism. I found this to be quite an accurate measure of my personality in a generalized sense. I was surprised to see that extroversion didn’t score higher as I would classify myself as a very outgoing, active, and friendly person. However, they were spot on with agreeableness because I tend to avoid confrontation and I trust people easily until they break it in a major way.

If a potential employer was to look at my results in depth I do believe that they could get a broad sense of what my strengths and weaknesses were. However, I think that the test is so generalized to get a wide scope of people and their unique personalities that the results don’t tell someone exactly what that person is like. This can lead to people making assumptions about the result and not really understanding why that person is the way they are. Sometimes these traits can be viewed as either a weakness or a strength. That is why in-person interviews are so important in my opinion. Body language is very important and can tell you a lot about a person. I personally think that a personality test is a good way to evaluate candidates, but I do not think it is the thing that an employer should solely rely on. I have taken these tests both for classes and for potential job options but there have also been other factors that they have used to assess my strengths and weaknesses for these situations.