Blog Post #2

I have just started applying for computer science related jobs. The stress of looking at the requirements and feeling unqualified is overwhelming. I know I’m capable of doing the job, but getting started seems to be the most difficult part of it. I am also conflicted in whether to start in the software development/engineering route or the information technology technician/specialist route. I have an interest in both, but I may need to get certifications for the latter. I am modifying my resume to fit a technical role and reviewing leetcode type questions. I want to ensure I have the fundamentals down.

My search began on the first week of October. This gives me about 4 months to apply/interview/study for the job positions. I would like to start January but I don’t mind getting an offer before then. I am only applying to entry level software developer jobs first and only in the Los Angeles region. I have made a job hunting plan that consist of three types of employers. These are government, private companies I’m interested in, and the ‘who’s hiring’ companies or organizations.

I applied to the U.S Federal government positions first, since I know from previous experience how long the process can take before onboarding. I read the qualifications and I did meet those qualifications. I am unsure how they do their interviews but will be prepared for a technical interview. What I know for certain is that the hiring process can be frustrating.

For private companies, I have a list of companies I would like to work for. These are non-tech companies, but spark my interest in how innovative they are in their software development. These companies also have a good reputation and offer a competitive For this list, I will apply as soon as they post a job. It does get repetitive searching everyday, but it is worth the work. I was able to find a job posting today, so it does work if you have patience.

The companies and organizations, ‘who’s hiring’, have different positions with a wide range of requirements. Since this is more broad and covers a wider net, it is easier to apply for these jobs. The challenging aspect of this employer is the requirements. The requirements range from no experience to 10 plus years. Some of them seem to be well paid, others extremely underpaid. Employers in this section will need to be looked into, to ensure I know what I’m getting myself into. Overall these companies/organizations are a good stepping stone and can lead to other opportunities.

I will continue to apply for jobs and study for the interviews. Hopefully in the next blogpost I can talk about the interviews. So far the employment search is going well and cannot wait for the career change. Just have to finish school strong for a little over a month and conquer these interviews.