Week 17: July 18-22

This was Crop Up number one week. It was an exhaustively busy yet very rewarding week. At the beginning of the week I helped with washing the vegetables that were going to be used for the Crop Up meals. With how many people were being fed there was a lot to wash. I also volunteered to do a major clean out of the communal refrigerator in the lunch room. The fridge was causing a lot of complaints by employees, so to help make the work place more pleasant for everyone I took time after work hours to clean the shelves and throw away food that had gone bad or was almost empty just taking up space. There was also a two day sensory test this week on salad dressing, which is one of our most involved tests because all of the lettuce has to be washed, cut, and measured. The first Crop Up was on the 21st and it was exciting to see everyone’s hard work from the past months come together. It was a long day that didn’t go off without any hiccups. While it was a beautiful sunny day it was extremely windy which did not bod well for setting up the place settings in advance. Half way through the day it was decided that rocks were a necessary decoration to the table settings to help keep everything from blowing away. There were also a few last minute changes to the menu and such, but all guests were very understanding to the mess-ups and had a good sense of humor about them. During the day I helped in any area that needed assistance so I helped set up tables, decorate, stuff goodie bags, cut herbs, fill in at the check in desk, dress the plates, and serve entrees to guests. All in all it was a very fun day and I am excited to be involved with the next one in two weeks.