Week 6: May 2-6

Week six of my internship was all about spring cleaning. With so many employees working independently on a variety of projects keeping things clean and organized is a challenge. The hardest thing to keep track of is the food because you don’t know what ingredients are being used on a project and what has been sitting in the pantry, fridge, and freezer from personal food, and projects that have long since been completed. Organization is one of the areas that many people think can is a task for a day when you are free but at the Food Innovation Center where there are new clients being added regularly and projects going into their second or third stages it is hard to find enough down time to worry about keeping the spices organized. But this week I had set aside time to deep clean the pantry, lab, kitchen and sensory area. While cleaning to this extent can sometimes be slow moving it is also work that is very rewarding because you can visibly see the progress being made. I tend to have a pretty good memory when it comes to the location of items once I know where things are placed and this just helped me even more to keep track of where things are in the kitchen and lab. I also gained a new project this week, while this month will be busy with sensory testing I hope I will be able to also keep up with all the little projects that I acquire.