Experiences With Discrimination

If I came across a news article that was reporting that my favorite company was facing a public lawsuit in which they were accused of widespread discrimination relating to an ethnicity, culture, or belief system I associated with I would have drastic changes in how I felt about that company.

When it comes to the way that I feel about this company, I would have some mixed emotions. It would be a difficult situation because I would feel that this company no longer sends the same message that I initially believed in, however; it would not change the fact that I still like their product, services, etc… For example, if my favorite clothing brand was being accused of being discriminatory towards people of my culture then I would no longer feel like they are a good company, but it would not make me feel like their clothes are no longer cool or stylish. With that being said, even if I still like the product or service that this company offers, I would not be able to support them. It would be difficult for me to support a company that does not support me. Along with that, it would most definitely affect the decision of me applying to work there in the future. If this company is being accused of discriminating against people of my ethnicity, culture, or belief then I could not imagine how I would be treated within the company or workplace.

Although I have never personally dealt with discrimination in the workplace or really in life in general, I know that it is not something that I would allow to happen to myself and I would remove myself from the situation as quickly as possible.

3 responses to “Experiences With Discrimination”

1. I think it is interesting how different people handle different situations. It is very true that the fight or flight mentality really comes into play when faced with conflict. Personally, if I was in a discriminatory situation, I wouldn’t just leave because I feel like at that point they are winning, and then that is how their behavior continues. But I would not actively try and put myself into that type of situation.

2. Hi Evan,

Agree that the types of scenarios in the case we needed to write about can result in a range of emotions, or as you said “mixed” emotions. I enjoyed reading the way you might think about a company if it were in this scenario- that you might still like the product, but would not support the company. I had not considered viewing it this way, but I appreciated your approach because I thought it was fair and balanced.

3. Hi Evan,

Firstly, than you for sharing your thoughtful thought and personals experience toward the company that are interested in order to get to know especially from their history. I do believe that it is hard to not change our mindset or consumer behavior toward the company that we trust that they can provide a great value to the society but they do some unethical or inappropriate things that hurt people physically or mentally by discriminating them by their race or gender or nationality or family background or social status or size of the family and any other factors. It is because it hurts out trust and give not appropriate example that is not worthy to know or apply again in our lives. I do believe that all of us have our own bias and it tends leading us to the discriminate others based on the stereotype that we have. However, we need to respond it wise and carefully in order to avoid unwanted outcome. I do respect your response in responding to the case, this can be an outcome for the company to make them learn in order to be better in the future.