Employee Recruitment

When it comes to an organization’s decision-making process it typically all comes down to what decision would be best for the company. Every organization is different when it comes to their goals and what they need in order to succeed and reach these goals. With that being said, there is a multitude of reasons as to why an organization may decide to allocate more resources toward product marketing or product design rather than using those same resources to do a really good job in employee recruitment and selection. One of these main reasons could be that the organization typically has a very or fairly low turnover rate when it comes to essential and important employees. If an organization has a low turnover rate then that means that there is less of a need to put focus on employee recruitment or selection due to not having to replace essential employees often. Another main reason why an organization may choose to allocate more resources toward product marketing and product design could be that the profits that can be made from this product outweigh the need for top-notch employees, or if the product can be made/sold using more automated methods rather than with actual employees.

A potential strength of an organization’s decision to not prioritize recruitment and selection in favor of focusing on other aspects of the business is that it can reduce costs related to recruitment, employee training, and wages. The money that can be saved on these aspects can be used to increase the effectiveness or efficiency of other parts of the business. A weakness of this approach is that with a lack of highly sought-after employees there could be a decrease in morale and culture within the workplace.

5 responses to “Employee Recruitment”

1. Hi Evan. You presented a good balance of reasons on why some organizations may prioritize staffing and others may prioritize other functions.

I appreciated your insight on an organization’s low turn-over rate as a reason to prioritize other functions over staffing. I had not considered this.

2. Hi Evan,

Good blog post for recruitment. It was well detailed and organized. I enjoyed the part about one of the reasons why companies may not prioritize recruitment/selection is they have a low turnover rate for important or critical employees. I think that the key part of the post is the critical or important employees. If the company can maintain a good work environment and make sure they keep employee moral up then this shouldn’t be a problem. The lower level employee turnover rate shouldn’t be too high but big companies should be ok if their turnover rate for their more critical workers is lower. I also wrote about one of the strengths of not prioritizing recruitment is devoting their resources towards operations and marketing, if they can sell more products/service then this should make up for it.

3. Hi Evan,
    I thought you brought up a good point when mentioning the low turnover rate. I think this contributes to why creating a great work environment not only makes your employees happy but also saves money in the recruitment process so that way you can focus more on developing the product or service and developing the brand to potentially sell more and in-turn make the business more money. I think a large focus should be on creating a great work environment and that starts with how people are treated and the kind of quality of people that are working there.

4. Hi Evan,

Great post. I found this discussion difficult to stay unbias, as I see it is hard to pick one as one without the other doesn’t really work. But I think your point to the company possibly having very low turn over is a great strength of being able to prioritise other factors over recruitment. But with out strong recruitment in the beginning they may not be able to get to that high level, low turnover employee culture.

Do you think that cycling backwards and forwards between what factor is prioritised could be a way to mitigate the weaknesses of priortising one or the other?

Again great post thanks for sharing!

5. Hi Evan,

Great insight into how low turnover could be a reason for a company not focusing on recruitment and staffing. I believe the lack of turnover could allow a company to not focus on recruitment and staffing for a short financial period this is not feasible as a long-term strategic decision. Just having low turnover does not mean that a company has the correct team in place to avoid recruiting and staffing indefinitely.

I am not sure that diverting focus to marketing and products would reduce costs related to the staffing functions related to employee training and wages. Since you still have the current workforce, even though there is low turnover, a company will still incur these staffing costs.

Thank you for sharing.
    Best – Christian