A POST ABOUT … WELL… NOTHING

As a new semester starts, here comes the first post for the CS467 Capstone project. As an artist stares at a blank canvas, I am staring at my empty blog thinking about the topic of this post, and all I can think of is the infamous conversation between George and Jerry Seinfeld 

Source: https://media.tenor.com/P8IjyHvS800AAAAd/seinfeld-about-nothing.gif

Well, since it’s an assignment at the end of the day, it can not be entirely about nothing. Perhaps, similar to Jerry’s and George’s idea, I will tell you a little bit about my journey to a computer science degree. 

The idea of studying CS wasn’t foreign to me. When I was in high school in Russia, I was part of the school’s informatics team and participated in school competitions(olympiads). Although I was far away from the typical high schooler description that’s interested in computer science from Reddit or the description of a typical Russian hacker for that matter. 

Soon after moving to the US, I discovered my passion for art, and at the time, it was a natural choice for me to go study interior design and architecture. In my mind, it was a perfect combination of art and science. 

Source: https://y.yarn.co/a58e2f2b-62db-4b17-9999-d30bc0395474_text.gif

As time went on, I graduated and moved to NYC to pursue an interior design career. That’s when I realized the importance of technology in the architecture and design field and in what areas it was lacking. 

I started exploring some of the tools like scripting to help improve my company’s daily workflow, but the more I worked with the technology the more I became interested in learning about it and about computer science in general. As I continued the research of the subject matter, I came across computation design that combines topics of CS and architecture. However, it was a new field that was available at a few universities, and it felt too specialized.  Sure, I could have learned how to write programs to generate facade options or analyze building wind loads or do energy analysis, but what I was really interested in was how technology can affect everyday architects and designers.  

With that goal in mind, I pivoted into looking at computer science degrees and that’s when I discovered OSU. 

Through my time at OSU I continued to work as an interior designer and ironically enough the architectural project that I was working on while studying CS was a design of 3 floors for Jane Street Capital, one of the New York trading firms known for their innovative technology. Furthermore, the new grad job that I will start in August of this year is in the same company as one of my first interior design projects I worked on as an intern.

Call it the universe, or do we live in a matrix?!.. 

Source: https://pbs.twimg.com/tweet_video_thumb/D0YGuabXcAAat6O?format=jpg&name=360×360

Well, I will stick with Seinfeld references for this post, and maybe cover matrices in the next one! 

You know, I used to think that the universe is a random, chaotic, sequence of meaningless events, but I see now that there is reason and purpose to all things.”

Jerry Seinfeld