A Good Manager

After viewing many of the companies in the “Fortune 100 Best Companies to Work for 2020”, I noticed some characteristics that were mentioned often in companies with good management was employee support and promoting an inclusive work environment. Companies like Ultimate Software, Cisco, and Kimpton Hotels & Restaurants all share these traits and are all listed in the top 10 or higher on the list.

I also view these traits in high regard and would like to exemplify these traits as a manager and I would hope to see these characteristics in my managers. As said in the “How Google Sold Its Engineers on Management” article, management must “go beyond overseeing the day-to-day work and support their employees’ personal needs, development, and career planning”. As a manager, I would want my employees to feel comfortable talking to me about issues that arise or things that they may feel uncomfortable about whether it be about the work or other coworkers. I believe it is important that your employees feel like you have their best interest in mind that you are there to support them when needed. This also ties into promoting an inclusive work environment because if everyone is able to feel supported and heard, that translates into the work environment.

An aspect that I think may be challenging would be having a line between being friends and the manager at the same time. Sometimes being too friendly can lead to employees not taking instructions seriously or being too lax in the workplace. Working on building the skills to keep that balance would be challenging but needed to be a good manager.

Citations

Garvin, D. A. (2013). How Google Sold Its Engineers on Management. Harvard Business Review91(12), 74–82.