Project Status Report #1

Hello again! As I teased last time, this post will be all about how the course project is going thus far. My group has been assigned to create the Animal Adoption Web App, and progress on it has been steady.

Due to overwhelming experience working with Python, my group decided that the best path forward was to create the web app using the Python/Flask framework, and we are hosting it on Google Cloud.

The majority of my work so far has been on the HTML side of things, mainly getting the framework set up for the several pages that our web app will utilize. Pages such as the login, signup, home, admin dashboard, animal profiles, and news feed have all been created. Some of my teammates have began to work on other things, such as adding in CRUD functionality to the admin dashboard to add, update, delete animal profiles and user accounts. Also to perform similar actions on news feed posts as well. Another teammate of mine is deep in research on how to implement login authentication. We are now considering using the “Flash” package, but are not set on that as of yet. We hope to have more information on this in the next status report.

I wanted to show a few teasers for what the current state of the web app looks like right now. Obviously, some things will look a bit different when the final version is released, but this is where we are at right now, and we are proud of it thus far. Feel free to take a look below.

Login Page

Home Page – we hope to have the web app display the current user account, and we may add in some graphics to spruce it up a bit. Navigation is functioning correctly via the Nav Bar.

Animal Profiles Page – one of the most exciting additions so far has been the implementation of the image carousel, which will allow the user to easily click through profiles pictures, and click them to be taken directly to that animal’s profile page. Otherwise, the user can use the button below to be taken to a Search page to narrow down results based on their preference.

Admin Dashboard – this is a rough draft of the admin dashboard that one of my teammates created. Obviously, we’ll spruce it up a bit with some CSS by the final version.

So, as you can tell, progress on the web app has been steady! Now that most of the front end has been created, we are excited to dig into some backend work, continuing to work on CRUD functionality and routing between the interface. My hope is that by the next post, I am able to share some exciting news on our progress on login authentication, so keep an eye out for Status Report #2!

Thanks again for your time and interest, and I will see you again next time!