Compensation as a Motivating Factor – Why I moved on from a stable job.

Week 1 Blog Post for MGMT 449

Liz Dennis-Pavlich

January 12th, 2023

Sometimes I wonder how anyone stays with their company for more than five years. Currently, I have a part-time internship with Intel working as a construction project manager. Many of my veteran coworkers have been with Intel for over 20 years, which is hard to imagine. Even more so because I am only 22 years old, I am mindblown by those I come across at Intel who worked there for twice as long as I have been alive. 

Looking back at my short employment history, compared to those at Intel, the job that I held the longest was at the OSU Transporation Services (TS) as a Transportation Options Outreach Assistant. I worked for them from January of my Freshman year up until the end of my Junior year at OSU. The reason why I have not returned to them for my senior year is that I accepted the extension of my internship at Intel, where I originally was set to intern for only 6 months. 

In both jobs I have found a significant amount of job fulfillment, I think one of the main differences between the two jobs is that I can focus on my career pursuits at Intel as an actual project manager, whereas at TS I was mainly a helper for outreach programs. Another impactful factor is that I am paid almost twice as much at Intel as at TS. I think that as I have progressed through my career as a project manager, life has gotten more expensive as well, so I need a larger and more reliable source of income. 

Overall, I believe that I will always be searching for a job that will make me feel challenged, fulfilled, and supported. Perhaps I will stay at Intel if I feel satisfied with everything I have done there so far and if I feel like I have a long ways to go. Maybe I’ll become a “4-Life-er”, as we call it at Intel.