Just some surveys and observations 

I scored very low for the stress inventory. While I wasn’t surprised after reviewing the various life events listed, I do still feel like I have significant life stressors that are not listed. I don’t personally want to share these with the class but I just wanted to note that I feel we all have external stressors that may have not been considered in this list. 

For the coping and stress management skills test, problem-focused coping was my highest score. Again, I don’t like to disclose much about my personal life but I do know that I am able to handle the stress of situations by focusing on the problem itself rather than the emotion. If I get caught up in the emotion I am not able to see things clearly and it is harder for me to recover from them. As mentioned in the text above, this can be difficult when issues are not in my control or cannot be easily fixed. 

Ok, this one I am confused about. I do not consider myself impatient or irritable but the score of 30 seems low so I am not sure what to take away from this one. I do recognize that I have some Type A tendencies and preferences but I would not consider impatience or irritability as one of them. 

I currently try to manage my stress in a number of healthy ways. The first is keeping organized and knowing my schedule. While working from home during the peak of the pandemic, my husband, dog, and I shared one tiny office. Talk about stress! We quickly learned that we needed open communication and each morning we would list when we had Zooms or lectures that required quiet from the other person. This tiny communication saved us many tiny fights! Second, I try to exercise 3-5 times a week. This is a positive outlet for me and allows me to clear my mind. I also leave to go home for lunch (I am lucky I live 1 mile from my work) and take my doggo for a walk. Removing myself from the workplace, and going outside, allows me to come back for the second half of the day refreshed. Third, create personal boundaries for work and life. I have had positions in the past where I had no delineation between the two and it can be consuming. I no longer have work or school email on my personal cell phone and on the weekends I leave my work laptop turned off and in the office to avoid the temptation to work. This has been very important for me. Lastly, I take mental health days when I need them. As mentioned in our text, job burnout can be shown through emotional exhaustion, depersonalization, and reduced personal accomplishment. My employer actually encourages mental health days acknowledging we all need a break at times.

Other ways to manage stress include:

-Eat healthy

-Get enough sleep

-Have a positive support network

-Deep breaths 

-Dedicating personal time

-Listen to music that makes you happy

-Self-care

Some unconventional ways to reduce stress at work: